Monday, December 17, 2007

Have difficult-to-shop-for-relatives? Here is a humane gift idea: support a Swazi orphan



This misspelled poster, created by rural community health workers at a recent Baylor-sponsored pediatric HIV training, made an impact on me.

I wish that 'human' and 'humane' had similar meanings, but they do not...at least not here in Swaziland.

Swaziland has the world's highest rate of HIV infection. The disease is filling local cemeteries and creating a generation of orphans, nearly 70,000 of them. The small kingdom has ~15,000 child-headed households.

As regular readers of this blog know, I have found great meaning in helping restore dignity to the lives of some of these children. My role is small, but I believe in it.

As you plan for the upcoming season of giving, you can play a role too.

Please check out the following links for to learn how to support local Swazi children orphaned by HIV:
www.youngheroes.org.sz/
Parentless children with nothing to lose (previous blog entry)
Ryan's birthday wish (previous blog entry)

1 Comments:

At 2:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the highlights of my week (which tend to be miserable lately - too much work) is to read your blog. Wish you were here to hoist a pint and relax a bit during the holidays, but I'm sure I'll see you soon buddy.

Keep up the good work and the fun writing.

Patrick McA.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home